- Report your accident / incident to I.C.B.C by calling the “dial-a-claim” at 604.520.8222 or 1.800.910.4222, if your are out of the province
- The attendant will take all the particulars, police case number (if applicable) and arrange an appointment with an adjuster at a claim centre of your convenience
- Police should be notified if there is injury or death occurred, or if it is a “hit & run” accident, or if your vehicle is broken into, vandalized or stolen, or if the combined property damage appears to exceed $1,000
- Crash Reporting Guide (http://www.icbc.com/claims/how_claim) can help to let you know what information is required.
Claims with Private Insurers
If you have placed coverage with a Private Auto Insurer and you are at-fault (or partly at-fault) in an accident, you are required to report the incident to both ICBC & the Private Insurer. However, if you are not at-fault, just report the incident to the Private Insurer.
Personal & Business Insurance
When you have to make a claim, we do what we have to do to make sure that it is smooth sailing all the way.
It’s simple. Call us at 250.374.7466. To make things easier, please have your policy number handy.
We will ask you the following questions:
- Place – civic address of the home or business affected
- Nature of the loss – fire, wind, water, break & enter, or others
- Date & time of loss
- If local authority is notified – fire department, police, or others, the case number is required
- Extent of damage – number of rooms or surface area affected, interruption of power, any concerns with electrical system? Is the site secured?
- If you know the source of the problem – a leaking toilet, fallen tree from back yard, kitchen stove, etc?
- Contact person name (someone who has a key to the premises) & telephone numbers
- Minimize your loss – if it is safe to do so, move things out of harm’s way or make temporary repairs and take other steps to protect your property from further damage
Further to our reporting, an adjuster, a claim representative from the insurance company will contract you by phone to obtain specific details and provide further instructions.