What You Need

  • You are traveling into Mexico with your personal car
  • You will need:
    • Tourist Permit
    • Vehicle Insurance (Mexico Underwriter)
    • Immigration Pre-Authorization
    • Temporary Vehicle Import Permit

Tourist Permit

  • Travel beyond 35 kilometers of border – Permit required for EACH adult
  • Apply online at https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html
  • Print your permit and receipt.  Carry with you.
  • Visit greater than 7 days = Permit cost 500 pesos
  • Must stop at border to get Permit stamped on the way in to the country
  • Max stay on one Permit = 6 months

Vehicle Insurance

  • Kamloops Insurance Services represents MexiPass with A+ underwriters
  • Get a policy in English that reads similar to Cdn/US policies
  • Up to $1 million in liability
  • Click on the “Get A Quote” button and we will review your options and cost with you
  • Two packages to choose from
    • Auto Special Plus Package (for tourists)
    • MXPatriate Auto Plus (for home owners in Mexico)
    • Both packages include travel insurance

Immigration Pre-Authorization

  • Apply online between 11 – 60 days before entry to Mexico http://www.inm.gob.mx/pae
  • Vehicle permit will be issued for same period
  • Print this document – it is needed for the Vehicle Import form
  • Once in Mexico go to Immigration Office exchange your printed pre-authorized form for FMM immigration document

Temporary Vehicle Import Permit

  • Limit of 7,716 lbs GVWR except RV’s
  • Apply 11 – 60 days before entry to Mexico at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#
  • Run-up to Christmas is busiest season – apply as early as possible
  • Click on the link at the top of the page labeled “Inglés” if Spanish is displayed
  • Tip – do not use a period in any data entry field
  • When complete print the confirmation page and write down the “leaf” number
  • Apply the permit decal upper center windshield and print the import permit

Entry to Mexico

  • Bring your
    • Passport
    • Driver’s License
    • Vehicle Registration
    • Proof of Mexico valid automobile insurance
    • Tourist Permit
    • Immigration Pre-Authorization
    • Vehicle Import Permit (all the paperwork)
  • Enjoy your trip!

Coming Home

  • Cancel your vehicle import permit BEFORE you leave Mexico – deposit refunded
  • Very important, you may not be issued another permit if you fail to cancel
  • Stop at Mexico Customs office usually about 15 miles south of the border
    • If you are late returning to cross the border, you will lose your deposit
  • Get your ICBC insurance refunded for a minimum 30 day visit in Mexico http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/Documents/mexican-travel-refund-request.pdf

Call Now


Call Now